Benefits of Massage:
- Reduces stress and anxiety - Besides a good nature walk in Falls
Park, massage is a wonderful way to relieve your body of stress. Massage
increases serotonin production, easing anxiety and depression. Elevated levels
of the stress hormone cortisol have been clinically shown in trials to
directly suppress immune system functioning and have been directly linked to
depression, stress and many diseases including cancer. Take preventative action
or compliment traditional medicine with a stress-reducing massage.
- Ease migraine headaches - Massage therapy decreased the occurrence of
headaches, sleep disturbances and distress symptoms and increased serotonin
levels in adults with migraine headaches. Hernandez-Reif, M., Field, T.,
Dieter, J., Swerdlow. & Diego, M., (1998). Migraine headaches were reduced
by massage therapy. International Journal of Neuroscience, 96,
- Increases joint flexibility - Thai Massage is especially good for this, because there are a lot of arm and leg stretches, creating space to open up the joints and stimulate synovial fluid production. The fluid provides for more cushion adding a spring to your step and lubicration, reducing that grinding feeling in the rotator cuff. Even if you don't like stretches, gentle movements of the limbs help, too.
- Improves rest and sleep - Massage shifts the balance from the
sympathetic (fight or flight response) to the parasympathetic, which allows us
to rest and repair. Often, massage can be so relaxing that clients often fall
asleep during their session!
- Increases circulation in overused muscles - Sports enthusiasts and
athletes alike benefit from massage 24 hours before an event or after
exercising. Soreness is greatly reduced by increasing blood flow especially to
the muscle groups targeted during the workout or sporting event. Increased
circulation means faster repair of tissues and easier removal of the body's
metabolic wastes (like phosphates, CO2, and nitrogen compounds).
- Helps Mothers-to-Be relax and prepare - Expectant mothers can
appreciate a good pregnancy massage for so many reasons: stabilization of
hormone levels, an increase of lympathic circulation reducing fatigue, sedation
of the nervous system for much-needed rest and relaxation, and increased blood
flow throughout the body, including the placenta. (This short list is referenced
from Elaine Stillerman's book Mother Massage).
- Reduces spasms and cramping - The combination of proper nutrition and
a good massage will increase the blood flow to chronically tight (aka ischemic)
muscles, so they get the nutrients they have long been needing.
- Facilitates the body’s natural detoxification process - Massage
improves the lymphatic system's circulation, which plays a crucial role in your
body's ability to heal from illness and injury. Negative effects of lymph
stagnation can include oedema (water retention), frequent colds, and headaches.
Periodic detoxing (e.g. two weeks each spring and fall) is highly complimented
by massage. ***If your immune system is already taxed or you're taking any
prescription medications, it is especially important to consult your doctor
before beginning your detox program.***
- Relaxes the body, mind, mood, and spirit - Sometimes we all just need
to stop and take time to surrender to relaxation. Let the mind wander, allow
the spirit to flourish and feel all bodily tension melt away.
Would you Like to Schedule a Massage?
Call us at 231 360-4626 or use our online-form right now.